Title: Full-time Secretary – flexible arrangements will be considered for the right candidate
Place of Work: Education Centre, Balmoral Road, Lancaster, LA1 3BT
Reporting to: Diocesan Schools Commissioner
We are looking to appoint a candidate to work in the Education Centre at the Diocese of Lancaster office to help fulfil its increasing range of functions. The successful candidate will be hardworking, with excellent time-management skills, and experience of working in a busy office.
Key roles and responsibilities of the post include:
- Communication – to deal with a range of stakeholders, in both verbal and written form, to assist with enquiries and provide key information as required.
- Data management – to develop and maintain systems for record-keeping, relating to training and events, governance, finance, schools data, and confidential communications.
- Events management – to organise venues and speakers for training and events that take place across the Diocese.
- Note-taking and clerking – to attend meetings and provide clerking support where required.
- Diary and email management – to maintain the departmental diary and manage the general Education Service email account.
- General secretarial support and ad hoc project work.
The postholder will work with and under the direction of the Office Manager to fulfil the administrative and support functions of the Education Centre office. This role is primarily office-based, however attendance at meetings and conferences at venues throughout the diocese, and occasional out of office hours working, may at times be required.
The successful candidate will have
- Have 3 years or more of relevant experience (secretarial or administration) in a busy working office.
- Have competency in Office software, including Adobe, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Be able to build strong relationships with the wider team, but also with our schools, governors, Trustees, and all other stakeholders.
- Have a flexible approach and be responsive to changing needs or requirements
- Be well-organised and have an eye for detail.
- Be able to work as part of team but also work on your own initiative without instruction where appropriate.
- Have excellent communication skills and be able to deal confidently with people at all levels.
The Education Service is a key part of the Mission of the Catholic Diocese of Lancaster. Therefore, the successful candidate will be able to:
- promote all aspects of Catholic Education within the Diocese of Lancaster.
- offer support to all who have educational responsibilities within local church communities of the diocese.
- work with all members of the Education Service staff to ensure that schools and parishes receive appropriate and timely support and guidance.
- To work in a way which is sympathetic and sensitive to the Catholic Church and her teachings.
An informal conversation is invited before application. Please contact Heather Watts, Office Manager, [email protected] or telephone 01524 841190.
Closing date: 12:00 noon Wednesday 31st January 2024
The Diocese of Lancaster is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any successful applicant will be subject to a satisfactory DBS check.