Looking for a fresh challenge and a fulfilling vocation?
The Bishop of Lancaster, The Rt. Revd. Paul Swarbrick, is seeking to appoint a Diocesan Schools Commissioner (DSC) as a key member of his senior diocesan leadership team.
The Diocese of Lancaster is situated across some of the most beautiful scenery in England – encompassing the regions of Lancashire, North of the Ribble and all of Cumbria.
The Lancaster Diocesan Board of Education has oversight of 82 schools (70 Primary, 11 Secondary and one Sixth Form College). Bishop Paul has requested that all schools in the Diocese will progress towards forming and joining multi-academy trusts by the close of 2026. This work is already well underway, with two regional MATs already up and running and a third launching in the near future.
Bishop Paul is calling for a visionary Diocesan Schools Commissioner (Director of Education) who, along with a capable and committed education team, will help realise the enormous potential within a forward-thinking diocesan family of schools working in solidarity with one another.
As Diocesan Schools Commissioner, you will:
• Promote and implement the Bishop’s vision for Catholic education within the Diocese
• Build capacity, trust and good relationships within the diocesan family of schools; encouraging collaboration to develop and sustain school improvement, and raise aspirations
• Confidently and enthusiastically articulate the role of Catholic education in the mission of the Church and be an effective witness to it
We are looking for someone who has:
• Extensive leadership experience in an education context, whether as a senior school leader, governor or local authority/SIP partner
• A strong grasp of current educational issues (including CMATs’ evolving role within the parish, diocese and local community)
• Excellent leadership and management skills – the ability to communicate a clear vision, win trust, influence and respect and bring people with you
• A deep knowledge and understanding of Catholic education as structured in this country
Now is a moment of real opportunity within the educational and Catholic life of the Diocese, which makes this post an extremely attractive and rewarding career opportunity.
A requirement of the post is that applicants must be practising Catholics.
Closing: Monday 4 July at 12 Noon
Interviews: w/c 11 July
For an initial informal chat (in complete confidence) please call Liam Dowds, our Emmaus Advising Consultant, on 01737 652 043 or email him at [email protected] in the first instance.
The Diocese of Lancaster is an equal opportunities employer and committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. DBS check required.