St. Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, Cockermouth
Full Time Catholic Headteacher (fixed term 1-year contract from 1.9.21 to 31.8.22) with a teaching commitment
Group 1 Leadership Pay Range (L6 £47,735 – L12 £55,338)
Start Date: 1.9.21 (or as soon as possible after this date)
Number on roll: 28 (Nursery to Y6)
The Governing Body is seeking to appoint an inspirational and dynamic Catholic Headteacher, initially on a one-year, fixed term contract, to lead our small team in delivering exceptional standards of education. This post is offered on a fixed term basis to further develop leadership whilst also helping to develop the long-term financial sustainability of the school.
This post would offer an ideal secondment opportunity. Any potential candidate considering this option must seek provisional approval from their own Governing Body prior to submission of their application.
St. Joseph’s Catholic Primary School is a small school with a family feel, situated in the town of Cockermouth on the edge of the Lake District National Park. The school is a happy, caring place and plays an important part in the local parish community.
The most recent Section 48 Diocesan inspection (March 2020) stated, ‘St Joseph’s is a small Catholic school with a very big heart. It is very welcoming and has inclusion for all as a central goal and a shared vision: pupils enjoy attending and they have positive attitudes to learning.’
The most recent Section 5 inspection conducted by Ofsted (July 2019) recognised the many strengths of the school. The report stated that, ‘Pupils have good attitudes towards their learning because of the excellent relationships that they have with staff. Staff act as effective role models for pupils.’
We are looking to appoint someone who:
• is a practising Catholic
• is dedicated to ensuring every child achieves their full potential
• is committed to pupils’ spiritual development, welfare and safety
• is forward thinking and committed to continuous school improvement
• has vision to lead, motivate and inspire our team of dedicated staff
• is an approachable, resilient and inspirational leader
• leads by example as an outstanding classroom practitioner
• will nurture positive relationships with the parents, parish and wider community
• is able to work effectively with governors
• has a secure understanding of the current Education Inspection Framework and has the ability to lead the school to a good outcome in its next Section 5 inspection
In return, we can offer:
• a welcoming and enthusiastic school community
• happy, confident children who demonstrate excellent attitudes to learning
• a well-established, highly motivated team of teaching and support staff who are fully committed to the continued success of the school
• extensive outdoor grounds including play areas, gardens and outdoor learning environments
• a supportive and pro-active Governing Body
• established local headteacher cluster support
• well established links with the Diocese of Lancaster
• strong links with the Local Authority and a wide variety of external agencies
• support with your continued professional development
We advise potential applicants to look at our website to find out more about our school. We welcome visits the school. These will be conducted in line with current Covid19 guidelines. Please contact the Clerk to the Governing Body, Mrs Anne Heaney: [email protected] to arrange a tour of the school.
Further details and a candidate pack are available on our website or by contacting the Clerk to the Governing Body. https://www.st-josephs-cockermouth.cumbria.sch.uk/vacancies/
Closing date for applications: 10am on Friday 11 June 2021
Shortlisting: Tues 15 June 2021
Interview date: Tuesday 22 June 2021
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of all our pupils and staff; therefore all appointments are subject to an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and pre-employment ID and medical checks.